Everyone has their own way of playing The Sims 4. Personally, I DO NOT play without mods. I find mods greatly enhance my gameplay, give my Sims more personality and depth, and make the game more fun and challenging. I like autonomy mods below to help move gameplay along, or to disable annoying autonomous actions (i.e. why do adults wreck dollhouses? *face palm*). Of course, you can select what “flavors” you want or mix and match the above and below mod suggestions for your gameplay.
Quick Lengthy Disclaimer (if you want to know how I play or what I recommend): These mods are (generally) updated frequently, but…
- I do not guarantee that I will update this page frequently and I am not responsible for gameplay issues. I will NOT respond to questions regarding modding issues because it’s best to contact the modder directly.
- Always check to see if you have the latest version of the mod and that your game is patched.
- If a game patch occurs and a mod hasn’t been updated yet, I always recommend waiting until it is updated before adding to your game.
- Back up your saves any time you add new mods and delete the localthumbcache.package file in your Electronic Arts Sims 4 game folder before playing with new mods.
- Always read the description of the mod, required supplemental mods, possible conflicts, etc. before downloading and installing a new mod.
- Double check that you have all corresponding expansions, game packs, stuff packs, and/or kits.
Whims-based Mods Suggestions
- bienchen’s Whims Overhaul – this is a must have mod for me – completely overhauls the entire whims system, allowing for more dynamic and personality-based gameplay – adds new whims for the additional expansions that EA abandoned.
- Caradriel’s Romantic Wishes – adds a series of romance-based social options, a custom moodlets, and a custom tradition
- missyhissy’s mods
- Personality Mod and Custom Whims – adds whims based on a dominant personality trait like in TS2 – Family, Fortune, Knowledge, Pleasure, Popularity and Romance, and adds 3 custom traits as well – Creativity, Grilled Cheese and Power (available in the Rewards store for 0 points so you can add right away)
- Hobby Mod – adds 10 preferences to CAS with their own whims based on hobbies from TS2 – Arts and Crafts, Cuisine, Film and Literature, Fitness, Games, Music and Dance, Nature, Science, Sports and Tinkering
- TurboDriver’s Wonderful Whims (the non-Wicked Whims SFW version)- adds personality archetypes and woohoo/romance based options/whims in game, plus a woohoo/pregnancy/menstrual cycle overhaul/addition
- bienchen’s mods
- kuttoe’s Career Overhaul Suite – improves career progression and makes for more challenging and interesting gameplay (does conflict with adeepindigo’s Education Overhaul mod, specifically the Education career, but you can easily remove this option from kuttoe’s mod if you play with both)
- lotharihoe’s Bust the Dust Overhaul – better animations, removal of all the weird stuff, faster usage, etc.
- bienchen’s Moods Matter – moods impact skill gain, career performance, interactions, etc.
- lumpinou’s mods Mood Pack paired with Custom Moods– adds moods in game and is needed for many mods out there in the community
- lumpinou’s First Impressions (I have a love-hate relationship with this mod, but it does allow for more challenging gameplay. I recommend 3 day delay so it doesn’t prevent progression).
- roBurky’s Meaningful Stories
- Zero’s Weather Impacts Mood – (because it does IRL…)
- chingyu’s Age Up Preferences – receive preferences on age-up
- helaene’s Preferences Plus – adds social, hobby, venue, lifestyle, and outfit preferences and pushes whims in game based on preferences
- kuttoe’s pizza preferences
- Zerbu’s Unlimited Likes and Dislikes – allows you to pick as many preferences as you want
- chingyu’s Holiday Tradition Override – determines whether a Sim will love or ignore a tradition based on their traits, including custom traits by chingyu
- chingyu’s More CAS traits – because Sims should have personality deepen and grow like in real life
- chingyu’s 100 Base Game Traits Pack (current V2 as of Jan 20, 2022) (there’s an add-on for lumpinou’s Mood Mod and an add-on for attractiveness that I use)
- any traits by KiaraSims – updates frequently and adds so many new options for personality; pick and choose
- kuttoe’s Emotional Traits, Hobby Traits, and Spa Day Traits
- PolarBearSims’ Have Some Personality Please (yes please!!)
- chingyu’s Romance Autonomy and Faithfulness Traits
- chingyu’s Smarter Self Care
- chingyu’s Smarter Social
- PolarBearSims’ autonomous mods
- First Kiss
- Ask to Move In – I recommend the ‘Friendly’ flavor so you can ask friends and not just romantic partners to move in
- Autonomous Proposals – I play with ‘No Romance’ proposals so Sims don’t start or end relationships for no reason and with ‘No Polygamy’ and ‘Autonomous Breakups’ add-ons.
- Autonomous Weddings
These mods add realism, depth, new gameplay options (and I’m all about that!) etc. I turn some of these mods on and off depending on the type of game I am currently playing.
- adeepindigo’s mods
- Education Overhaul – adds gameplay for children and teens and greatly improves the education system; also adds Education career (far superior to EA’s) and preschool
- Healthcare Redux (based on my gameplay, I typically select ‘Long No Death’ since I often play with Aging off but this is less realistic)
- Summer Camps
- Family Therapy
- Simulation is Not Free, Pt. 1 – adds fees for various activities such as daycare, vacations, and hospital services
- Simulation is Not Free, Pt. 2 – adds fees for visited lots such as gallery, gym, spa, etc.
- frankk’s Language Barriers– adds languages to the game (new skill) and unique scenarios and conversational options
- LittleMsSam’s First Love – adds an aspiration, social interactions, and relationship progression for kids
- NatetheL0ser’s Milestones– adds additional gameplay based on time periods in a Sim’s life (i.e. toddlerhood, puberty, midlife crises, etc.)
- bienchen’s Conversation Tweaks – helps you know what your Sims actually want to talk about, without a million clicks AND adds a clean pie menu which organizes conversational options
- helaene’s Emotional Socials, Insults and Arguments Pack, and Praise and Admiration Pack
- KiaraSims’ Romantic Interactions, Social Interactions, Work from Home Interactions
- lumpinou’s Contextual Social Interactions – lets Sims talk about specific activities/events based on context (i.e. spouse gets fired and your Sim reacts)
Annoyance/Fix Type Mods
- kuttoe’s Keep Sims in Home Region – this mod is a lifesaver and a must! It helps prevent game-breaking immersion by keeping Sims like the name suggests in their homeworld. It’s not perfect, but it’s the best mod out there I can find that comes darn close. It prevents Eliza Pancakes from showing up as a vampire in Forgotten Hollow or Judith Ward from walking by in Glimmerbrook.
- Free Staff and No Phone Call Animation – for those street vendors (why should you have to pay for them to show-up? Shouldn’t their employer do so?)
- Housewarming Party instead of Welcome Wagon – more friends/neighbors, better snacks, shorter length
- More Best Friends
- More Servings and Better Meal Times
- No Restaurant Bill when Invited
- Unlock Doors for Chosen Sims
- Transfer Inventory
For the Control Freaks… (like me… I say with love!)
Sometimes these mods are super useful, especially when staging or playing in storyteller style.